OLI Analyzer 3.0 Updated

OLI Analyzer 3.0.7 is launched

Well we actually went several weeks without an upgrade to the the OLI Analyzers. We did find some unusual bugs.  The release notes for the Analyzers explain in more detail what we found. In brief

  • When the Gibb’s energy calculation was enabled, the program crashed. We found a mis-alignment of an array that was fixed
  • Network installations got confused when entering the name or IP address of the server. An erroneous error message was displayed. This was cleaned up.
  • The ability edit the toolbar and add custom buttons was re-enabled. Somehow we managed to turn it off.
  • Users could enter assay and pseudo-component names with special characters such as the plus “+” sign. This caused the internal model generator all kinds of problems. The code was updated to prevent special characters from being entered. Only the characters A-Z (both upper and lower case), 0 – 9 and the underscore “_” are allowed.
  • Somehow we removed most of the plot variables for the mix calculations. We have added them back to the plot program.
  • Pass-Through models (models created in ESP or the Chemistry Wizard) failed if they were created with later versions of ESP (8.0 or later) This was because of a change in date format in the DBS file. This was corrected
  • The cancel button now works to stop a calculation
  • We added a feature to the tree-view. If you right-click on an icon you can change the view to names instead of icons. This reduces the real estate consumed and makes for a more compact view. This also works for the object library.
  • The plot option dialog allowed you to display more than 5 dominant species but the internal code limited it to 5. This check has been expanded to allow you to truly display the desired number of dominant species.
  • The assay distillation column headings were incorrect. They now read the correct value for the type of assay data being used.
  • Occasionally a stability diagram crashed with the error message “Insufficient Virtual Memory.” This was caused by an error in the Fortran code. The code was updated to reduce the amount of memory being consumed.
  • The database continues to grow. New redox subsystems are present and the code was updated to allow them to be displayed.
  • We added a feature to save the layout of the definition grid. Some users always need to see a particular part of the grid (Additional Stream Parameters for example). Right-clicking the grid allows you to save the layout.
  • The new HTML format reports in surveys did not allow you to cut and paste the data into a new object such as Microsoft Word. We have enabled this feature once again.
  • The units manager was updated to allow English unit sets for custom units.
  • The solver was updated for odd cases where the 2nd liquid phase was enabled but it did not form. This gave inconsistent results in some cases.

How is pH calculated in a model that does not have any hydrogen ions?

This is a question that is asked frequently. So much that I have written a guide that explains the hydronium ion conversion for standard pH calculations using the OLI software. This is for those users who need to make sure that OLI is on the up-and-up.  Here is a direct link to the document on the OLI support website.

PH Calculations

That’s all for this week.

Jim

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: